I want to help you through the NFL withdrawal of this weekend. I’m sure you want a break from the Harbaugh brothers for a few days before Tuesday’s Super Bowl media day. You’re probably not interested in getting your NFL fix by watching the pathetic Pro Bowl. So we turn our attention to the 2013 NFL Draft coming to you 3 months from today! These are the 10 teams (in draft order) that simply must make a great pick with their first selection on April 25, 2013.
1. Kansas City Chiefs – it’s a talented roster in Kansas City that was unmotivated it seemed last season. They limped to a 2-14 finish to claim the top spot. They desperately need stability at the quarterback position but this isn’t the draft with a clear cut top QB much less one worthy of the top overall spot. They should focus on the offensive line or take a pass rusher. You simply can’t have too many good linemen (ask the 49ers) or too many pass rushers (ask the Ravens).
2. Jacksonville Jaguars – the Jags have a new coach and really need talent. They only won two games last year because their talent is lacking. They will go after a pass rusher here because they face Andrew Luck and Matt Schaub twice a year.
6. Cleveland Browns – They’ve been picking early in Cleveland for years and it’s time they make a move toward playoff contention. They must make a pick here to impact the roster right away. I think they’ll look for a pass rusher here though they need playmakers on offense as well.
9. New York Jets – It’s do or die in 2013 for Rex Ryan and crew. They need to be better after such a mess of a season in 2012. Ryan loves guys who can pressure the QB but with a potential trade coming for Darrelle Revis, a CB might be the choice here. Regardless, the player taken by the Jets better be an impact player to help them back to the playoffs.
12. Miami Dolphins – The Dolphins had some bright spots last season but need more playmakers on both sides of the ball to make a playoff push. I think Dolphins look for the best available player here.
15. New Orleans Saints – Many in the Big Easy feel 2012 was a lost season due to the bounty scandal. So they’re looking to rebound in 2013 with the return on Sean Payton and a new D-coordinator. They must address the defense that was atrocious last season. They’ll take the best defensive player on the board at 15.
17. Pittsburgh Steelers – The Steelers had to watch the playoffs this year, not something they want to get comfortable with in Pittsburgh. They’re a team that’s aging so they need to grab a player here that’ll be able to contribute to a team that should be back in playoff contention next season. It might be time to address the secondary with the pick here.
18. Dallas Cowboys – The Cowboys are a mystery. They’ve had a talented roster for the past few seasons but can’t get over the hump and make a run to the Super Bowl. They must have a great draft and that’ll start by drafting a lineman to solidify the pourous line they had in 2012.
21. Cincinnati Bengals – They’ve had back to back trips to the playoffs but haven’t been able to get the W to advance. They’re a young roster and with another good player they could get over the hump and win the AFC North and host a playoff game. I think they go after a pass rusher here.
24. The Indianapolis Colts – A huge 2012 season as they went from having the top pick to making the playoffs. It’s a roster that isn’t deep with talent though and they won’t sneak up on anyone in 2013. They’ll have a tougher schedule and need an impact player at 24. With Dwight Freeney on his way out, drafting his replacement is a good idea here.
The SportsFormulator.com 2013 NFL Mock Draft will debut the day after the Super Bowl.
Which teams do you think must nail their first pick this April? Post your comments below.
Get the latest from Sports Formulator by following us on Twitter and Facebook.
Let us know what you’d like to see here on SportsFormulator.com by taking this brief 5 question survey!