2018 Sun Belt Preview
Big changes in the Sun Belt. They cut down to 10 teams (Idaho and New Mexico State are out) and the conference added a championship game. Now there’s two divisions where the winners of each will collide for the first ever Sun Belt Championship.
- 2 teams rank in the top half of our preseason college football power rankings
- 4 teams rank over 100 in our power rankings
- 4 teams will go to a bowl game
- Sun Belt teams face Alabama, Clemson, Penn State, Nebraska, Boise State, NC State, South Carolina, Texas A&M and others so the opportunities abound to grab a Saturday headline with a major upset.
What to Watch in 2018
- Can anyone challenge Arkansas State in the West? The Red Wolves rank #44 in our preseason power rankings and then the second best team in the West comes in at #97.
- The East will be competitive. Troy, Georgia Southern and Appalachian State will all contend for the East title and a spot in the championship game. Appalachian State has to break in a new QB but they’re talented and should be ready to contend.
- Georgia State wide receiver, Penny Hart, is worth watching. He leads active FBS receivers in career receiving yards, touchdowns, catches per game and receiving yards per game. If you get a chance, tune in to watch him this season.
- We just project four bowl eligible teams in 2018, down from 5 in 2017 and 6 in 2016. The loss of Idaho and that W could be the difference in having a postseason birth for more than 1 team this season in the Sun Belt.
Sign up now for our weekly Formulator Football Newsletter!
2018 Sun Belt Predictions
Sun Belt East
|RANK||SUN BELT EAST||W||L||CONF W||CONF L|
|60||Appalachian State Mountaineers||9||3||6||2|
|90||Georgia Southern Eagles||8||4||5||3|
|102||Georgia State Panthers||4||8||3||5|
|92||South Alabama Jaguars||4||8||3||5|
Sun Belt West
|RANK||SUN BELT WEST||W||L||CONF W||CONF L|
|44||Arkansas State Red Wolves||10||2||7||1|
|97||Coastal Carolina Chanticleers||4||8||3||5|
|122||Louisiana Ragin Cajuns||5||7||3||5|
|126||Texas State Bobcats||2||10||1||7|
2018 Sun Belt Championship Game
Arkansas State over Appalachian State. It’s fitting these two teams face-off in the first ever Sun Belt Championship game since they’ve been atop the league for many years now.